Donald Trump turned down an invitation by the Washington Nationals to throw out the ceremonial first pitch at their season opener on April 3 against the Miami Marlins.
The refusal to participate in what has become a presidential tradition going back to President William H. Taft is baffling to many. Wasn’t it Donald J. Trump who boasted he was the “best baseball player in New York” when he was young?
Below are the top 10 reasons why Trump declined to throw the first pitch:
- It could bring back childhood taunts he “threw like a girl.”
- His offer to throw out a golf ball instead of a baseball was nixed by the team.
- He is afraid of splitting his pants.
- He was warned against the idea by Chris Christie.
- He is concerned the ball might slip out of his small hand.
- It’s hard to throw wearing a long, over-sized coat.
- His bone spur makes it hard on his plant foot.
- The mound isn’t elevated enough for him.
- His long red tie might cause him to trip.
- He might be booed in a city that gave him only 4% of the vote!
For the record, the White House has said Trump has a “scheduling conflict” that makes him unavailable.
Photo | totalprosports.com