Stephen Miller, the White House policy adviser, made some bold and controversial statements across an array of Sunday political talk shows yesterday. One of his favorite talking points was also summed up in one of his tweets:
“We have a president who has done more in three weeks than most presidents have done in an entire administration.”
Of course we all understand what the conservative, 31-year-old “senior” adviser means by the word “more.” He, no doubt, is thinking along the lines of accomplishments.
While most would dispute such an interpretation of Trump’s performance, in a real sense, our neophyte president has done more in his first three weeks in office than most presidents do in an entire term … just not in the way Miller, former press secretary of Michele Bachmann, cares to acknowledge.
Trump has done more …
- to undermine our rule of law by questioning the legitimacy of our court system.
- to make our country less safe through his thinly disguised Muslim travel ban.
- to alienate our friends and allies with anti-NATO talk.
- to trash our free press (except Fox News) as purveyors of “fake” news.
- to question the integrity of our voting system through unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud.
- to tangle with a publically traded company because of a business decision they made.
- to create a diplomatic crisis with two close allies, Mexico and Australia.
- to belittle the civil rights movement by defaming icon, John Lewis, through racist tweets.
- to insult our intelligence agencies by comparing them to Nazis.
- to attack the first amendment by claiming protesters are paid professionals.
All this in only three weeks!
What we, and the world, desperately need from Donald Trump is for him to do less, not more, Stephen!
No, we do not care how many golf vacations our chief executive takes. The further away from Washington D.C., and a pen, the safer we, and our beleaguered democracy, will be.
Photo | cnn.com